We Praise to overcome the spirit of heaviness…
Satan is also called the Adversary. He opposes us in our walk with God. He uses many tricks and devices. One of his tactics is to send a “spirit of heaviness” upon us. When we recognize this we are able to overcome him easily.
Ephesians 6:11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles (methods – cunning, crafts) of the devil.
The Spirit of Heaviness
Isaiah 61:3 To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified.
SPIRIT is “ruwach” This is the same word used for all spiritual life and beings including God. It is used also of breath and air. It does not mean “a feeling” or attitude.
- This is not man’s own spirit, which is called “the spirit of man”
- This is not God’s spirit, nor can it be from God
- It is a demonic spirit.
HEAVINESS means ” somewhat dark 5, darkish 1, wax dim 1, smoking 1, heaviness 1; 9 dim, dull, colourless, be dark, faint :”. It is a word used in the bible to describe:
- the effect of a plague darkening the skin,
- the dimness of the eyes in old age,
- a fire gone out of a flax (reed), still smoking and not extinguished.
- a heavy spirit.
THE EFFECT OF A SPIRIT OF HEAVINESS
- It darkens our face: Our hearts are down cast. This spirit brings a “heaviness” over us.
- It dims our vision, robs our hope. Everything may actually look darker.
- It brings a heavy, oppressive feeling. It reduces our faith.
- It may come over many at once, like a plague. It can be like a cloud, hanging over a place.
- It causes us to isolate, it steals our love, makes us feel alone.
OVERTHROWING THE SPIRIT OF HEAVINESS
- Recognize it. This is not you, you are a child of God. This is not God’s will for you. Romans 8:31 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?
- Don’t believe anything negative you think under it’s influence. Accept no criticism of yourself or others. 2 Corinthians 10:5 We destroy arguments and every proud obstacle to the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ,
- Put on the Garment of Praise (Is 61:3) This literally means to be “Wrapped Up In Praise” God gives us the garment of praise, but we have to put it on. He gives us the armor, but we have to put it on. We are sometimes good at putting on the garment of complaining. We get up in the morning and put on the garment of grouchiness. It happens to believers. Complaining. But purposely, on conscious, let’s put on the garment of praise first thing in the morning and the day will go a lot better. Keep it on all day, don’t take it off at night. It’s alright to sleep in it. We’ll sleep well. Let’s take action including adoration, thanksgiving, singing and glorifying. Get loud, get definite, aggressive! Wrestle it down. (Eph.6) and break into the anointing.